Thursday, December 22, 2011

Season's Greetings :: Longer Days


Tis the season to be jolly... and the days started getting longer yesterday, so Spring is queuing up right behind Santa.

Maybe it's optimistic to think that Spring is right behind Santa, but I've been stressing about the winter 5 that I've already gained, and I haven't even made it through Christmas yet, so I've signed up to try Rapha's Festive 500 challenge.
To complete the challenge one needs to ride and document 500 kilometers (that's approximately 310 miles for us Americans) between the 23rd and 31st.  It's "only" about 35 miles per day, but says easy and does hard given the holidays, family time, short days, cold temperatures... not to mention the potential for snow and ice.

Sure enough, I woke up before dawn this morning with the intention of getting in a few hours of riding, and what did I find when I looked out on the back porch?


You have to love New England weather.  It was sunny and almost 60 degrees yesterday, and today it's a "wintery mix" advisory on the weather reports.  The kids are stoked about having a white Christmas, but it's time to bust out the studded tires, except that my Winter Deluxe is sitting on a stand in the showroom.



Looks like I need to get both of my fender bikes ready to go, charge up the Light & Motion lights, bust  out the full winter kit, and grab an insulated IF coffee tumbler for my bottle cage, so there'll be no excuses tomorrow.

Speaking of coffee tumblers, check out the custom colors that Chris and Phil did to put in the stockings of the ladies at BaileyWorks:


I hope that you've all been nice this year and that Santa brings you shiny new bike things for your stockings.  As we were shooting this Australia bound red Crown Jewel the other day we all joked that it was the perfect "Santa Bike".  Maybe the jolly old fellow wouldn't be so rotund if he rode a bike during his off-season.  Must be nice to eat cookies all of the time and have eight reindeer to pull your largesse around.

2011 has been a busy year, a time of change for us as we settled into our new home.  We are thankful for all of our terrific dealers and friends who have supported us throughout, and wish you all a joyous holiday season and prosperous New Year.


May your glasses always be full and your rides safe.

Peace,

G

No comments: